Thrift Shop

Welp, I have to hand it to the universe: I did not expect to ever hear "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore while thrift shopping.  But it happened, and it gave me distinct pleasure, and I may have had to suppress a little dance.  And I am listening to it again now because it's catchy and it's been awhile.  This afternoon, Vale and Ginni decided it was a good time for us to go try on some discount designer clothes, or more specifically, to find "vestiti belli e buffi" for "la Julia" (note: I will answer to "la Julia" upon my return), aka I was going to be their doll and be at the mercy of their fashionable whims.  And so I was.  I pulled some truly marvelous and horrifying creations over my head.  Was intimidated at first by shopping with real live Italian ladies who instinctively know what is hot and what is not, because there is no telling (if you're me) when their faces will contort with disgust as you pull it off the rack (and then immediately pretend you were joking and put it right back) and when they will deem something beautiful and worthy.  I learned.  I also re-learned the first commandment of thrift-shopping: Thou shalt wear proper underwear, because everyone will see it--even if you're wearing clothes, because everything is see-through, guys.  Everything.  I know that the man who cruised by the dressing rooms 8 times while I was in there knew all about my underwear, and I know this because the curtain covered approximately the area between my shoulders and my mid-thighs and also left convenient gaps on the sides, allowing me to survey the entire store whilst attempting not to trip on myself as I wriggled out of a long-sleeved see-through yellow silk dress.  Pro-tip: do not make eye-contact while performing this maneuver.

It was an emotional time for my companions.  Ginni had to part with a neon smiley-face T-shirt because Mamma was not shelling out 40 euro (did I mention that this place was a few steps above Goodwill?), and Vale had to say farewell to some beautiful but lopsided leather shoes that stole her heart.  Ginni wore a vacant, desolate expression for the remainder of the afternoon.  No poppin' tags for us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Insufficiency of 'No'

Rainy Wednesday With "Puh"

Hot Mess