Primavera Sounds So Much Cooler Than Spring



Some things that I think about:  1. Instead of saying "what" (in the sense of "hmm?") Italians say "how."  I like this.  In real life, the situation probably plays out the same in either language, but I think "how" is a word with much more depth and possibility.  2. Instead of saying that they love pizza, or they love a dress, or even that they love their friend, Italians don't.  They like these things.  Maybe they like them very much.  Trust me, they have no shortage of ways of saying how awesome or beautiful or delicious something is; men will greet each other with "ciao bello" and kiss each other on the face, so it's cool.  But love is its own realm, and pizza is not allowed in.  I would guess that this allows for less romantic confusion?  Maybe?  3. More than anything, the noises that Italians make are what make me feel like a stranger here.  Even if I reach poet-laureate levels of fluency some day, I will never shrug my shoulders and say "BOH?" when I don't know something.  Or "beh," or "ehhh?" (for authenticity, this last one should be said as if you are a very deaf 89 year old man).

I promise never to mention coffee on this blog again (unless it is really, really important).  But I am now officially a member of the Cult of Espresso Drinkers, and have recognized that I am at my most powerful after having consumed 2.5 servings of the blackest, most bitter coffee known to man.  Or that it tweaks something in my brain to trick me into thinking I'm indestructible--whatever, I take what I can get, s'all good and no calories!  Anyway, I have every intention of bringing home a real Italian espresso maker, and this is a big deal because I am not the souvenir-buying type, nor the appliance-buying type.  I buy junk food and shoes.  Sometimes books.  Back to my point: no one makes good espresso in America.  Literally no one.  I checked.  Also, in Italy, "American coffee" is when they take good coffee and dump water into it.  I know, I know, you guys are all going to need to be my best friend now that I possess an espresso machine, but it only makes like one cup at a time so you'll have to wait your turn.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Insufficiency of 'No'

Rainy Wednesday With "Puh"

Hot Mess